What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit

Back Up Next

The regiment moved into its new home on March 25, 1943.  From then until December 19, 1943, the regiment conducted advanced and specialized training as well as spending six weeks on the famous Tennessee maneuvers.


Camp Mackall Map
shows unusual triangular runway layout and a large parachute packing support area.

Aerial photo
is a near duplicate of the map.

Division Training Center and Barracks
(front center)

Army troops first came to the U.S. Department of the Interior's game management land in the Hoffman area in 1941 during the Carolina Maneuvers. That area is about 40 miles west of Fort Bragg on the west side of Drowning Creek. During the 1920s, the Baltimore Barber Steamship Company established a hunting preserve there. In 1922 they created Mossgeil Lake and constructed a log cabin on the east shore. It became the commander's house during World War II. In 1924 a second cabin was built on the west shore, which served as a briefing room during the war and is now the Range Control Office. In 1930, DuPont Corporation purchased the property and added a lodge, which became the Camp Mackall 's Officers' Club. That building burned in 1968, but the chimney remains. On November 8, 1942, construction began on the Hoffman Airborne Camp on 56,002.91 acres obtained from the Department of Interior and purchased from local landowners. There were over 1,750 buildings erected mostly of the Theater of Operations (T/O) type. The one-story T/O buildings were the most temporary construction with rough plank siding covered with tarpaper. A heavier grade tarpaper served as roofing material. Construction included seven service clubs, two guesthouses, three libraries, 16 post exchanges, 12 chapels, a hospital, 65 miles of roads and three 5,000' runways in a triangle. Those buildings included headquarters for the U.S. Army Airborne Command, the garrison command and the division headquarters. There were also numerous service buildings. The camp's cantonment area was constructed with a north and south area separated by about a mile with the Station Hospital in between closer to the north area. The south barracks area was for troops in training and contained all the services necessary to sustain them. Those troops began arriving in January 1943. They were to receive basic training there in addition to perfecting their parachuting and gilder skills.


Top of Page

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact