What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit



   Edwin E. Bennett, 66, of Manchester, died Saturday while skiing.
   Born in Englewood, N.J., July 2, 1914, son of Edwin E. and Jane Anderson Bennett, he attended schools in New Jersey and for many years worked as a realtor for Wheeler-Williams in Philadelphia, Pa.
   He and his wife, the former Elise T. Dixon, whom he married in 1960, have resided in Manchester for the past 20 years. At the time of his death he was a town lister, a member of the Ekwanok Country Club and a trustee of the Dellwood Cemetery there.
   During World War H, Mr. Bennett served in the U.S. Army with the 82nd Airborne.
   In addition to his wife he leaves a son, - Nicholas C. Bennett of Jamaica; three daughters, Wendy Osborne of Bethesda, Md Betsey Bischoff of Rye, NH, and Lisa Stokes of Rosemont, Pa.; four grandchildren; nieces and nephews.
   Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 11 a.m. in the Zion Episcopal Church in Manchester .with the Rev. Robert L Clayton, rector, officiating. Burial will follow in Dellwood Cemetery.
   Contributions in Mr. Bennett's memory may be made to the Vermont Heart Association or to a charity of ones choice through the office of the Brewster Funeral Service in Manchester which is handling arrangements.
   There will be no calling hours.

[Bennington Banner, Bennington, VT, 16 Feb 1981, Mon, Page 22]

[courtesy of "Nancy D"]

Grave marker for Edwin E. Bennett in Dellwood Cemetery, Manchester (Bennington county), Vermont.

On 6 September 1937, Edwin, age 25, arrived in New York, NY aboard the SS Statendam, which had departed Boulogne-sur-Mer, France on 20 August 1937.  Little did he know that he would repeat this crossing in just a few years.


Edwin registered for the draft in Deferiet, NJ on 16 October 1940 and was inducted in to the Army Newark, NJ on 29 June 1942.

With a year of college under his belt he was soon tapped for OCS and on 4 February 1943 he was commissioned as a second lieutenant.

Due to missing morning reports, the date of  his arrival in Hq 3rd is unknown.  He first appears on 7 August 193 when granted a LOA for 10 days beginning o/a 15 Aug 1943.

2nd Lt Bennett was transferred to Company I on 10 November 1943.

Assistant Platoon Leader Bennett was seriously wounded in action on 20 June 1944 and evacuated.

Returning to duty on 27 September 1944, the lieutenant was transferred to Service Company for light duty.

He was again wounded on 31 January 1945 and evacuated but as able to return to duty on 23 February  1945.

Edwin succumbed to a heart attack ay approximately 9:15 a.m. while on a ski lift and was DOA at the hospital.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact