Home
What's New
Search Engine
Archives
Odyssey
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
TAPS
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Back Up Next

508th  KEY OBJECTIVES IN NIJMEGEN

Belvedere Tower
was used by the Germans because of its commanding vista of the bridge complex.
The brick tower: old Fort Belvedere, was a relic of Charlemagne's reign. In peacetime the lower floors of Belvedere had housed a tea room, its tower had been a tourist lookout.
But, in 1944, Belvedere was a fort again. Out of its doors and windows stuck the ugly snouts of German antitank guns. Atop the tower were more guns, snipers, and lookouts.


Striking View
captures both the tower and bridge demonstrating the key strategic position that the tower held.
(taken by Jim Blue)


Lt William Gyami
in photo taken at same location
(courtesy of Rex Combs collection)


CP Waal River
Rex Combs didn't state which CP this was but presumably it was for the 1st Bn
(courtesy of Rex Combs collection)


Waal CP Today
is a farmhouse on the Oude Kerkhof "Old Graveyard Road) along the dyke in Bemmel
(courtesy of Wilco Vermeer, historian)


Sgt Jack M. Bailey
stands on the banks of the river Waal. in this undated photo,  He was wounded i Holland, perhaps in this vicinity.
(courtesy of Rex Combs collection)


[l-r] Bailey & Gyami
both were members of Co A
(courtesy of Rex Combs collection)

Battle of Thorensche Molen
  
On the morning of September 23, G Company fought its way into the town of Thorensche Molen, named for its mill.  At least four men were lost in this action including Lt Ralph DeWeese, Sgt James Sidley, Pfc Arthur Leon and Cpl Robert Veasey.
   The group withdrew under heavy artillery fire and took the town again the following day but abandoned the objective again as  the artillery made it untenable.

THE STORY OF ROBERT J. VEASEY and how the Army Air Force Corporal came to be a 508th combat casualty
Read this incredible story

Thorensche Molen, which dates from the 15th century, as it appeared in 1911

Click here to see mill location on modern map (note close proximity, less than 1 mile) to German border)

Viewed from another angle the rotating upper housing and its 21 meter windmill sails sit above the lower building which houses the mill stones
(courtesy of Jan Bos)

   
Thorensche Molen Today
A memorial with the profile of the mill has been erected at the site where the mill once stood. A tablet explains the millworks as well as the battle.

 

 
Latest Incarnation
The mill has been reconstructed as shown in this 2016 photo sent by Paul Geutjes. and is now the site of a restaurant
(click on logo to visit their site)


 

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact
Jumpmaster.